Color, Crackle & Wax: Decorative Finishes for Woodturning
Classes are on going call or email to register
Course Description: (Class size is limited - Reserve your space early )
Explore the world of Decorative finishes and learn the step-by-step process to applying a variety of decorative finishes and textures to your Woodturning work. Unlike the woodturning world, decorative painters hold their secrets closely guarded and rarely share their techniques – Carmen is completely against this silent code of withholding secrets and will prove it!
Carmen De La Paz started in the construction and design as a decorative painter and has found many of those same finishes work amazingly well on her woodturning work. Packing a ton of information into this demonstration, Carmen encourages your process and discloses tips & tricks to help you discover the endless possibilities when taking your lathe work to the next creative level.
In this demo, Carmen helps you explore and find your “voice” as a woodturner by adding depth, dimension, color & textures. Sharing decorative painter secrets incorporating tints & dyes, traditional crackle, porcelain crackle and colored waxes, Carmen reveals how the possibilities are truly endless. As Carmen often says, “you are only limited by your creativity.”
Finishes and Textures covered in this demo include: Metal Paints & Patinas – from wrought iron paint to copper verdegris, Silver & Gold leaf Gilding, Porcelain Crackle, Traditional Crackle, Liming Wax, Powdered and Alcohol Tintes & Dyes.
- Some basic experience and confidence behind power tools or woodworking would be beneficial.
- Ability to stand for 2 - 3 hours and focus on both lecture and hands-on practice
Day #1: Friday Evening: 6 pm – 9 pm
Meet & Greet
- Carmen De La Paz Demonstration
Day #2 Saturday: 9 am – 6 pm
Getting Started in Woodturning:
- Safety Rules – Safety Equipment, Safety Wear, Safety First!
- How does the machine work – all moving pieces – to work the machine you must know the machine.
- Mounting a piece of wood on the lathe
- Our first twirl and wood curls!
- Spindle work & Introduction to Roughing Gouge, Parting Tool & Spindle Gouge
Day #3 Sunday: 9 am – 5 pm
Hands – on! Woodturning: Make a Project
- Starting from Scratch – mounting the wood safely onto the lathe
- Introduction to a woodturning chuck and how it works - safety!
- Creating the foot for your chuck mount: Dovetail Tennon VS Straight Tennon
- Spindle creations 1 & 2
For more information on this course or to register please contact:
Email: email@example.com Phone: 818|925.8065